Job Title: Research Technician
Triangle Environmental Health Initiative (TEHI), headquartered in Durham, North Carolina, USA, is a small business focused on the development of technologies and services related to Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WaSH). TEHI partners with academic institutions and private companies to develop novel technologies that TEHI can then accelerate from the lab to the field, and finally to market. TEHI has particular experience in transitioning technologies through all Technology Readiness Levels (TRLs), from idea creation (TRL 1) to proving systems in operational environments (TRL 9), and has worked with Duke University, North Carolina State University, Crane Engineering, and others to develop and transition 20+ prototypes from US labs to the field in 10+ countries.
TEHI has been selected as a winner of the RISE Rural Coastal Community Resilience Challenge held in partnership with Virginia Sea Grant (VASG), the Middle Peninsula Planning District Commission (MPPDC) and the Middle Peninsula Chesapeake Bay Public Access Authority. Through this program, TEHI will pilot two full-scale prototype treatment systems for onsite wastewater treatment and non-potable reuse in the Middle Peninsula region of Virginia with the end goal of developing a market-ready product. As such, TEHI is looking to hire a Field Technician, Process Engineer, or similarly qualified individual to run day-to-day operations for this pilot program and support other product development activities.
The anticipated start date for employment is April 2023. The anticipated end date of the RISE work is February 2024. However, longer-term employment may be available pending employee performance, project success, and other grants/contracts under review with other agencies.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The employee with work closely with TEHI’s research and development (R&D) team based in Durham, NC, as well as with community partners through the RISE program (MPPDC, local universities, etc.). The employee’s primary responsibility will be hands-on operation and monitoring of the pilot systems, data collection, troubleshooting, and identifying areas for improvement. Detailed responsibilities are provided below. The combination of these activities is a unique mix, and TEHI does not expect the employee to have experience with them all. As such, TEHI plans to provide training for any subject area(s) the hire is not familiar with. However, the employee will be expected to work independently, take initiative, solve problems, work with their hands, and be a positive local representative of the company
- System monitoring – Visual inspections (e.g., leaks, effluent quality), Data recording• Sample collection – Collect liquid samples from different process locations and transport to lab
- Laboratory analysis – Follow routine wastewater analysis protocols at partner institution (training and support available)
- Troubleshooting – Identify issues/abnormalities and collaborate with R&D team to implement solutions
- Performance optimization – Run trials and interpret results to improve processes (e.g., decreasing power consumption)
- Maintenance & Repair – Troubleshoot and repair system problems (e.g., leaks, pumps)
Minimum Qualification Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in an applicable engineering field or Associate’s Degree in a technical field or commensurate technical experience
- Ability to follow safety guidelines for laboratory and prototyping environments
- Hands-on experience with mechanical equipment
- Troubleshooting capabilities and experience for systems processes
- Ability to prioritize and efficiently manage multiple concurrent projects and tasks
- Excellent English language skills and written and oral communication skills
TEHI is headquartered in Durham, NC. However, this position will require the employee to be based in the Virginia Middle Peninsula or surrounding area (Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, etc.) for the duration of the project and be able to drive to pilot locations.
To apply, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org before April 14, 2023 with the subject line “TEHI Research Technician” and the following information:
- Resume/CV in reverse chronological order
- Cover letter that not only demonstrates your ability to meet or exceed the above requirements, but also illustrates your unique value-add to this project.
- Contact information for three references TEHI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We appreciate all applicants; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.